Four people were injured after a “roach bomb” led to an explosion at a high-rise apartment building in Brooklyn Thursday afternoon, fire officials say.
The blast blew out the windows of a second-floor apartment at the building on Hegeman Avenue in Brownsville. Firefighters were at the scene shortly after 1 p.m.
Window frames and glass littered the ground and a dead cat was seen below the apartment, although it’s unclear if it was a victim of the blast.
Fire officials are investigating how the roach bomb led to the explosion. They said that in similar incidents a roach bomb has set off a pilot light on a stove or water heater, leading to a blast.
A roach bomb works “by spraying a pesticide into the air in a confined space. It falls to the ground, coating surfaces and killing pests,” according to Terminix.