Within a day of actor Anthony Rapp alleging that Kevin Spacey sexually assaulted him, Netflix confirmed the next season of House of Cards will be its last.
Netflix confirmed to the Daily Dot Monday that the coming sixth season will conclude the series.
Rapp alleged that in 1986—when he was 14 and Spacey was 26—the House of Cards star put Rapp on a bed and laid on top of him, “pressing into” Rapp.
Spacey responded to the allegations with a statement via Twitter.
— Kevin Spacey (@KevinSpacey) October 30, 2017
Spacey received criticism for using the apology statement to come out as gay. Twitter users called for Spacey to be fired and for House of Cards to be discontinued.
[email protected] please fire Kevin Spacey and make House of Cards completely about Claire Underwood thank you and goodbye
— Laura Baker (@lauratheactor) October 30, 2017
BuzzFeed News reported that the allegations against Spacey are not the reason the series is ending.
Netflix told the Daily Dot that the streaming service is “deeply troubled” by the allegations against Spacey, and that he is “not working on set at this time.”
“Media Rights Capital and Netflix are deeply troubled by last night’s news concerning Kevin Spacey,” Netflix said. “In response to last night’s revelations, executives from both of our companies arrived in Baltimore this afternoon to meet with our cast and crew to ensure that they continue to feel safe and supported. As previously scheduled, Kevin Spacey is not working on set at this time.”
Top Ten Celebrities with popular Youtube Channels
The sixth season of House of Cards is expected to premiere mid-2018.