Patient Seriously Burned After Her Own Fart Ignites Fire during Laser Surgery on Her Cervix

Patient’s-fart-ignites-fire-during-surgery_1-300x150.jpg


A patient’s ‘fart’ ignites a fire during laser surgery, leaving most of her body burnt from the incident.

The Asahi Shimbun account said that the incident had taken place at the Tokyo Medical University Hospital back on 15 April 2016. The unnamed woman, aged in her 30s, was undergoing surgery at Tokyo Medical University Hospital which involved a laser being applied to her cervix. The laser allegedly ignited gas from the fart and touched off a fire that burned much of her body. She was left screaming in agony after the fire burnt most of her body, waist and legs, according to a report by external experts into the incident.

The committee stated in the report that no flammable materials were in the operation room during the surgery and that equipment was functioning normally.

“When the patient’s intestinal gas leaked into the space of the operation (room), it ignited with the irradiation of the laser, and the burning spread, eventually reaching the surgical drape and causing the fire,” the report stated.

Why Are Farts Flammable?

Patient’s-fart-ignites-fire-during-surgery_3

Farts (the informal name for flatus or flatulence) result from normal bacteria in the digestive tract breaking down food into simpler chemical compounds. Everyone hosts their own personal colony of bacteria, so the gas signature you produce is your own unique flammable aroma. The color of the flame depends on personal biochemistry.



Source link