Thanksgiving is great and all, but if there’s one thing I’m not necessarily thankful for, it’s an inevitable food coma brought on by the same old dishes.
With that said, it wouldn’t be Thanksgiving without turkey, gravy, cranberry sauce, and all the delicious desserts that follow. I tell myself each year that I’m going to focus on watching what I eat, but somehow, I still end up passed out on the couch by mid-afternoon.
While every family has their own Thanksgiving traditions when it comes to the menu, I’ll be the first to admit that having the same foods year in and year out can get rather boring. So why not kick it up a notch this year and give your holiday dinner the makeover it deserves? To help get you started, here are 22 upgrades that will leave you feeling thankful for the change.
Read More: 16 Things You Thought You Knew About Thanksgiving (But Were Totally Wrong)
1. Give your turkey a smokey taste with this paprika-bacon roasted turkey.
2. Add delicious fall apples to your traditional stuffing recipe for a sweet kick.
3. Once you’ve tried this caramel pumpkin cheesecake, you’ll forget all about grandma’s pumpkin pie recipe.
4. It wouldn’t be Thanksgiving without buttery bread. Why not up the ante with these rosemary rolls?
5. Tired of potatoes and stuffing? Try out pumpkin risotto for a unique side dish.
6. Say goodbye to sloppy slices. Everybody can have their own mini pie!
7. Lift your culinary spirits with this orange amaretto cranberry sauce.
8. No time to make an elaborate casserole? No problem. This sweet potato dish is so delicious, it just might melt in your mouth.
9. It’s called cranberry sauce for a reason, but this is the tastiness that happens when you add apples into the mix.
10. You may have heard of beef wellington. Meet his Thanksgiving cousin.
11. I would have never thought to combine green beans and pecans, but this Thanksgiving upgrade has my mouth watering.
12. No meal is complete without a specialty drink to celebrate the occasion. Hot cranberry apple cider would complement any spread!
13. This casserole combines two fall favorites: butternut squash and sweet potatoes.
14. Apple butter just got a much-needed cranberry makeover.
15. This bird is made with sugar and spice and everything nice.
16. Bake your turkey and cranberries into one delicious crescent roll for the perfect Thanksgiving sandwich.
17. This creamed corn recipe is proof that you can never have too much cheese.
18. Butternut squash au gratin is a less starchy side alternative!
19. Apple dumplings can take forever to make from scratch. Speed up the process by using crescent rolls.
20. Add your favorite Thanksgiving treats to this side dish to ensure that your kids eat their Brussels sprouts.
21. These potatoes are so delicious, they baked them twice.
22. This apple sausage and cranberry stuffing is sure to leave you feeling good and full.
Read More: Step Aside, Turducken — The Piecaken Is About To Change The Thanksgiving Game
There’s only one month until Thanksgiving. Better start planning now! Which of these will you try?